Thursday, April 10, 2008

10/4/08

Definitely, maybe.

(spoilers alert!)

I finally got to see a movie tonight in KK!! Third time's a charm, i guess. I went with some friends whom i've came to know recently here; people who are friendly and kind - very hospitable!

We watched the new movie Definitely, maybe and it got me thinking again. yeah, in my earlier blog in which i talked about The Mist and The Spiderwick Chronicles, i said something about how "movies make me think". They do.

To some, the movie may have been a little tad slow, but for me, it had a lot of memorable moments, scenes and lines all throughout the 2 hours. As far as characters were concerned, Maya had an interesting perspective towards her dad's story; one that was insightful and empathatic, with variety of depths. I felt it in my stomach when she asked her dad "So did she break it?" Her dad said "What?" and she placed her fist on her heart.

And then there was this genuine and honest relationship of Maya and her dad that, to me, was very, for lack of a better word, special. I liked how she expressed her disapproval to her dad about him being a smoker in the past. "Wait a minute. You smoked?" and her dad said "That was a long time ago. I quit." to which she responded "Is there anything else i need to know?" - As if she's holding her dad's moral scorecard.

I also found it amusing when she said "I can't believe that Emily practised with Charlie!" - an appropriately placed line to reflect her innocence which keeps her over-the-age maturity in balance.

One of the major tear jerker came about when she said this ultra funny and yet filled with conviction line "Dad, I can't believe that you smoked, behaved so badly and was such a slut, but I love you" Now there's a measure of true love for you! hahahahaa....

So yeah, it got me thinking about the people who we cross path with in our life. The ones who we misinterpret, the ones we wish we didn't take for granted, the ones we let go, believing that it was the right (or dare i say moral) thing to do, the ones we hold on to the most in time of need, the ones who tells us what we need to hear out of their genuine care towards our well being and also the ones who have helped us discover parts of our selves which we never knew existed.

All in all, it was a good movie for me, one with a 'happy ending', Maya. Although in most cases I'd be able to spot it, it eluded me this time, when her dad said "I haven't told you the story's happy ending. it is you, Maya" So much for being a movie freak huh.

Another must-have dvd to add to my collection.

2 comments:

Wafa Nokman said...

Glad you're having a blast in KK! You still can't guess who told me where you were, have you? heheheh ;-)

huggyteddy said...

Yeah, i am so loving it here! :)

Hmm...i'm just waiting for you to tell me..hehehe....anyway, not many knows i'm here....or so i thought.hahahaha